I LOVE BENFICA

Membership Kit

Tuesday 19 August 2008

Vanessa de Sousa Fernandes (14/09/1985) – Beijing 2008 Silver Medal



Vanessa Fernandes won yesterday the Olympic silver medal in the Women's Triathlon.

To the Press she said:

“Winning this silver medal is very important. I feel a fantastic sensation, like if I had won the Gold medal.

It was very difficult to me because I hadn’t any Portuguese colleague with me. To compete in the Triathlon alone is very hard. I tried to take the lead but I didn’t feel well on the first cycle laps. Fortunately I was able to recover and get the second place.

Representing our country in this kind of event is not a piece of cake. We athletes must be proud and aware of how important these competitions are. If we don’t understand that and don’s take it serious, the better option is not to come. It is my responsibility and of each one of us athletes to be at the top, on the day we are going to compete, being ready to give our best.

I want to dedicate this medal to my family, friends and to all the Portuguese people who stayed awake watching me.”

1. Emma Snowsill (Australia), 1:58:27.66

2. Vanessa Fernandes (Portugal), +1:06.97

3. Emma Moffatt (Australia), +1:28.18

The coach Sérgio Santos considers that, the winning of the Silver Medal, is a big moment for the Portuguese Sport. To the press he also said:

”Vanessa worked a lot to achieve this goal. She deserves all the best and also much respect for everything she has been doing for the Portuguese Sport. Now let’s leave her celebrate with her team and family.”

The Women's Triathlon is divided in 3 competitions: swimming – 1500 m; Cycling - 40 km and running - 10 km. This is a continuous competition with no stop between the legs.

Uefa Europa League

Uefa Europa League

Season 2oo9/1o

Season 2oo9/1o