I LOVE BENFICA

Membership Kit

Friday 22 August 2008

Nélson Évora (20/04/1984) - When a star jumps to the Gold in Beijing


The Portuguese Athlete Nélson Évora, won yesterday the Olympic Gold medal, in the Men's Triple Jump.

Nélson came to Portugal very young and soon started to get interested by Athletics.

The first results on High Jumping were amazing, but he became injured on his knee, so he had to change to the disciplines of triple and long jump.

On the World Championships, the medals and the broken records appeared with work, dedication and of course with the help of João Ganço, his couch.
To the Press he said:

“I am very happy for winning this Gold Medal. I cried a lot when I realized I had won and made my dream come true. Although I had already won the medal I tried to improve in the last jump, but the forces weren’t the same”

“After the victory I stayed a long time inside the stadium, taking pictures and giving autographs. I also took some of the sand from the box. The Portuguese flag I had around my body was written, by my friends and family to encourage me.”

“I would like to dedicate this victory to my family, in particular to my father to whom I have made a promise.”

1. Nélson Évora (POR), 17,67 m

2. Philips Idowu (GB), 17,62 m

3. Leevan Sands (Bah), 17,59 m

Today Nélson received his deserved Olympic Gold Medal.

Uefa Europa League

Uefa Europa League

Season 2oo9/1o

Season 2oo9/1o