I LOVE BENFICA

Membership Kit

Tuesday 12 August 2008

Eusébio Cup – Tribute to a “King”


There is a new pre-season tournament in Portugal. It’s name Eusébio Cup.

The event is a tribute to the “King” Eusébio and will occur every year at the Estádio da Luz in Lisbon. On this first year, there will be only a single match, SL Benfica will face the FC Internazionale Milano.

Eusébio, who could have joined Angelo Moratti’s Inter in 1966 but the Italian football banned foreign players after the national team defeat against North Korea in the World Cup. In March Eusébio was a guest of Inter centenary celebrations at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.

Eusébio also known as the “Black Panther” said to the Press:

“I was already honored for having a statue in the Estádio da Luz and now the creation of this tournament, exceeds all my expectations. I hope to live for many and long years, now I know for sure, that the future generations will remember me. I think that the Internazionale Milano team was well chosen, I played against them and I remember they wanted me playing on their side. Nowadays the Inter’s team has a great coach José Mourinho and we can’t forget Portuguese players like Figo and Pelé that also play there. I expect a good match and I hope the Trophy stays here at home.”

Eusébio da Silva Ferreira was born in 1943 in the Portuguese ex-colony Mozambique.

The city of Lourenço Marques (Maputo) watched the young Eusébio growing in the streets of Mafalala, playing football with any kind of ball he could found.

Eusébio tried to enter the Club “O Desportivo”, after playing in a kids team called “Os Brasileiros”, but they refused him. He wanted so much to play that decided to go to the rival team, Sporting Lourenço Marques where he was accepted.

This was just the beginning ….

After that, Benfica signed him and there he made his dreams and of all Benfica fans come true. All over the world the football lovers who saw him also in the Portuguese National Team were amazed with the player who became a legend.

An extraordinary player was born and the space for his trophies was never enough. Never enough will be also any tribute to the “Black Panther”.

Eusébio is the best Portuguese player of all times, being also between the 10 better players of the world.

Uefa Europa League

Uefa Europa League

Season 2oo9/1o

Season 2oo9/1o