I LOVE BENFICA

Membership Kit

Thursday 7 August 2008

João Manuel Vieira Pinto (19/08/1971) – Golden Kid Retires


The striker João Pinto that for 9 seasons represented SL Benfica, has decided now to retire at the age of 36.

João Pinto joined SL Benfica in 1992, winning the league title on the following season (1993/94), playing in the famous away victory 6-3 against Sporting Cp.

This great Player soon became Captain of the eagle’s team and made plenty of fantastic games scoring over 100 goals.

João Pinto enjoyed playing with the ball on his feet making the ball roll and wasn’t afraid of that responsibility. Also secure facing his opponents (on one to one) with wonderful dribbling skills. Very good on short and long pass. He also won 2 Portuguese Cups with the red shirt.

To the Press he said:

“I’ve offers from some Clubs but I think this is the perfect time to end my career. Now it’s time to rest and to enjoy watching my son Tiago playing. I also want to say thanks to my family and to all the Clubs I represented.”

João Pinto is considered by many as the most amazing Benfica player of that decade.

Uefa Europa League

Uefa Europa League

Season 2oo9/1o

Season 2oo9/1o